Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I peed my pants

There have been reports of halibut caught off South Beach in Crescent City. This is a relatively new fishery even though the halibut have probably been coming close to shore to spawn for years.
Of course I had to give it a try since it’s so close and the rigging is pretty simple. Basically, it’s just dragging an anchovy on the bottom using a double-hook rig.
I put the kayak in the water, paddled out, and rigged up. After trolling for about 15 minutes with the pole yip bouncing while I paddled. All of a sudden the tip bent down and I thought I was hung up, but then it starting moving. I grabbed the pole out of the rod holder and hung on. After about 5 minutes I started raising the fish off the bottom and brought it up about 5 feet below the kayak. It was then I saw what it was. My first halibut. I kept a tension on it for another 5 minutes before bringing it to the top. Very gingerly I slipped the gaff under its gills and hoisted it in the kayak. It was then that I peed my pants. (Not really, I just made that part up.) The halibut was 31 inches and about 13 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment