Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My 'graduation' acknowledgement

Everyone that completes the proton treatment is offered the opportunity to say how the treatment was for them for the benefit of those starting the process. I think that 6 other guys completed their procedures today. This is what I said:


If God isn’t in this place, he has to be pretty darn close. With the care and attitude of everyone here; the techs, the office staff, and basically everyone, they’re the best. They made a difficult situation very doable and they were always very professional. Thank you.

Isn’t Psalms the book of thanksgiving? Don’t worry what I have to say it’s only slightly longer! Not really.

If I seem a little giddy it’s because it’s my very last day. Since this is my last day, yes, you can imagine….my sphincter muscle is doing flip-flops it‘s so excited..

Before I started this journey I didn’t even know I had a prostate.

But, now that I think about it, I know just the day the biology instructor was talking about it. It was the day that he pulled a cadaver out of a drawer and said something like, “Today we’re going to learn internal body parts by taking them out and replacing them from Max here, our resident cadaver.” I remember raising my hand and saying “Excuse me, but I’m feeling a little queasy, I don’t want to end up prostrate on the floor, I think I need to go weigh myself.”

I distinctly remember the scale didn’t work very well, and I didn’t come back until the next day. Yes, I’m sure that was the day he said something about where a prostate is at.

After the doctor was done with my prostate biopsy and I was walking out bow-legged after the procedure, I was sure I would never forget where my prostate was located. I, like you, probably looked like a drunken cowboy who had just got off his horse when I walked out of his office.

A “digital exam” doesn’t quite tell the entire story. You can bet, when the doctor says “pucker up” you ain’t gonna get a kiss.

Call me a pansy, but I really think that they should put you out for things like this, since they do it for a colonoscopy.

Or, at least offer you the option of laughing gas, because it sure isn’t a laughing matter to begin with, and you should at least be able to end up that way.

By the way, I’m getting a great tan. Unfortunately it’s only about the size of my prostate and it’s only on each hip.

In closing, the only thing lacking here is a T-shirt to remember the experience. Something like, “The end is always near with proton therapy.” I’m sure the techs could come up with a million great sayings. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Chapter 1...closed...and for all those wondering 'Where is this place he received such awesome care?' Loma Linda. May we never have to read chapter 2.

    ReplyDelete