Friday, September 4, 2015

Saw a whale today

I couldn't resist going for a paddle this morning. I had gone to WM to get some cat food and made the circuit.  South Beach looked so nice and flat I had to go back home and load up the kayak.

I had a beautiful paddle and just about the time I was thinking 'nothing new today' I hear the tell-tale sound of escaping air about 100' behund me. I turned around but didn't see anything. It surprised me and for a moment unnerved me to hear it but not see anything. A moment later I looked up and directly in front of me there was a soundless boil of water. It had surfaced but not taken in air. Again I had missed it. About a minute later I see the shape of the back of a whale with white barnacles on it materlize out of the water. A little tell-tale 'whoosh' of escaping air and then silence again. I've not seen any whales at South since about May. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment