Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thurs., Feb.18

Today was somewhat busy considering where I’m at and everything I’m not doing. I was really worried about what I’d forget. I really hoped that I wouldn’t forget, or worse yet fall asleep and miss my 11:00 PM appointment. I haven’t stayed up that late since …..(thinking)……(still thinking)……New Years Eve of 2007. Also, I had a 9:30 AM appointment for an orientation to the Proton Department. Considering the fact that I’d already had a consultation and nothing but embarrassment came from it I just couldn’t wait to see what this orientation would lead to. Actually as it turned out it was very much like going to a conference or workshop where they give you a large stack of papers that they want you to read. That’s two stacks of paper I have to read through now.

The place I’m staying is called the New Englander and considering how small it is, it’s an appropriate name. I didn’t really see how well the name fit until I’d been here a few days. The New England States are pretty small and densely populated, much like this apartment. It’s OK until I walk into it, then it gets kind of claustrophobic and over-populated.

In hindsight I’m really glad that HB had me pack the things I did. Extra underwear, deodorant, extra socks, and stuff like that. I knew that I’d need stuff like towels for the gym and gym shorts.

I finally got to go to the gym and get signed up. I was ready to tear that place apart. The veins in my neck were pumping and I was breathing deeply. I could just see myself walking in like Pee Wee Herman and walking out like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I was ready! I walked around getting the lay of the land and decided I’d go to the weight room. I did notice a sign that that said “No Towel, No Weights.” The mean side of me wanted to get out my permanent marker and write underneath it “No Problem.” Well, as I was getting dressed for the workout and just determining which shorts to wear I discovered a problem. I couldn’t decide if I should wear my weightlifting shorts, my running shorts, my badminton shorts, my basketball shorts, my walking shorts, my swimming shorts, my jogging shorts, or my basketball shorts. I needn’t have worried I found out that I forgot to bring a towel. I had to lower my sights and walk back out like Pee Wee Herman.

I had to settle for walking around the ½ mile track 11 times. There was some good news though, I received a call that I could come in at 5:45 PM instead of 11:00 PM if I wanted. Seems like the new guys get the really early morning times and the really late times. Anyway,

By the way I finally got to put to use the tanning oil I brought down. No, not for tanning, but for putting into frozen-up key locks.
I’d recommend the dark tanning oil myself. Hawaiian Coconut 30 SPS is my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment