Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tues., Feb. 23

Well, I’ve been here a week now, only about 8 more weeks to go. This is such a different experience being here. I should home with my family, be in my classroom. I find that leaving my identity and routine is hard. Never in wildest imagination did I ever believe that I would find myself missing work to attend to a health issue of mine. I have always fancied myself a relatively health person. Now I find myself not just dealing with it, but changing my life and routine to deal with it. What I’ve had affirmed to me so far is how important family is. Talking by web-cam is nice but it doesn’t take the place of being there face to face. To me it’s somewhat like receiving a email vs. A hand-written letter. The difference is minimal, but the meaning is amazing.

In every separation of a human touch there is a loss in meaning that is hard to quantify. As this is carried on it further distances genuine human interactions. Being there on the screen watching our family dinner last Sunday was very special and it made me realize how important it really is. Many time my small day-to-day experiences don’t really make an impact on me, and I may not understand how really important they really are.

The first thought that comes to mind is exercising whose benefits aren’t really realized until much later. Initially the only benefit may be a soreness which may not really be understood to be a benefit. The true benefit is the underlying strength of the muscles and the health of ones very cells. Perhaps their will be an opportunity to come from this experience that I don’t see yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment