Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wed., May 4 Evening Walk / The Heart of the World

This evening I was at the track and walked about 5 miles. When I got there the sun was just going down, and the lights were just coming on, and the bunnies were just coming out. There are two sets of lights on the field. One upper set, evidently for events, and a lower set for day-to-day operations. The lower lights cast long shadows but was very adequate to light the field. I hadn’t walked at night since I ran into all those bulls charging me where luckily I almost only suffered a flesh wound. I saw the same familiar group of people on the other side of the track but paid them no heed. After about two laps I noticed that they were catching up with me and I wondered if they recognized me and wanted to mete out some type of retribution.

After another lap I noticed that my shoelace was untied and I moved to the side of the track and started tying it. Out of the corner out of my eye I noticed movement coming toward me that looked like a shadow looming quickly directly at me. My thoughts went to the group of people that they may be rushing me. The shadow darkened over me and was getting larger, quickly. I braced for impact, or a real goring. I steeled myself and turned to meet my attacker(s).

A silhouette enveloped me as the bunny rabbit hopped to the side of the track.




I’ve been reading the book The Heart of the World, a Journey to Tibet’s Lost Paradise, by Ian Baker since I came down here. The book is 442 pages with about 2 point font. It’s been a slog; a journey of pain and difficulty accompanied by sleepless nights, and long days.

Granted, the author had his difficulties but none so difficult as reading about them. Leeches, sleeping on the cold ground, diplomatic restrictions, walking seemingly thousands of miles all to find this mythological lost paradise of Shangra-La.

It is know as beyul, hidden lands, in the Tibetan-Buddhist belief. Much like the Bermuda Triangle in the Western Hemisphere.

No, I’m not going to tell you if he found it. Just say that he ended up very content.

No comments:

Post a Comment